In 2019, for only the third time in 150 years, scientists found wild Atlantic salmon fry in the Boquet River, a tributary of Lake Champlain in Essex County. The long-term effort to restore self-sustaining, naturally reproduced populations of salmon to the Lake Champlain basin appears to be on the verge of success. [Read more…] about Naturally Reproducing Atlantic Salmon Returning to the Lake Champlain Basin
Champlain Area Trails (CATS) and its Long Pond Conservancy Program will host the Long Pond Trail Grand Opening, north of Willsboro, Essex County, NY on July 8th at 9:30 am. This 4.5-mile hiking trail leads to the forested western shore of Long Pond. [Read more…] about Grand Opening of Long Pond Trail in Willsboro
Chris Maron, the founding Executive Director of Champlain Area Trails (CATS), announced he will retire in December 2024 after 14 years. Under Maron’s leadership, CATS became an accredited land trust that developed miles of trails, protected land, publicized local hiking opportunities, and enabled thousands of people to connect with nature in New York’s Champlain Valley. [Read more…] about Founding Director of Champlain Area Trails Retiring
On May 7th, 2021, at approximately 2:20 pm, State Police responded to the Willsboro Bay state boat launch for an overturned kayak. An investigation at the scene revealed that 28-year-old Patrick S. Wells, and his son, 3-year-old Beckett L. Wells, both of Willsboro, were kayaking in a single-person kayak when, for an unknown reason, they overturned into the cold waters of Lake Champlain. [Read more…] about Father & Three-Year-Old Son Drown Cold Water Kayaking
Long Pond Conservancy (LPC), working under the umbrella of Champlain Area Trails (CATS), has purchased a portion of the western shore of Long Pond in Willsboro, Essex County, NY.
The 48-acre parcel on the western shore of Long Pond was originally part of a 212-acre tract owned by the 1812 Homestead Living History Museum. In 2013, the museum board decided to sell a portion of their land to establish an endowment for the museum. Those needs shifted when an arsonist burned down most of their principal buildings in 2016, including the original farmhouse that was built around 1812.