The Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World (IBPOEW) has been active in Saratoga Springs for 96 years. Known as the “Black Elks” among its membership, the Frederick Allen Lodge No. 609 was chartered August 5, 1925.
The Lodge was named in honor of Frederick Joseph Allen who was one of the first Redcaps employed at Union Station in Albany. Mr. Allen worked there for many years, and later became Custodian of Saratoga Springs City Hall. The Mary A. Carter Temple No. 362, woman’s auxiliary was chartered September 17th, 1925. [Read more…] about The Saratoga Black Elks: A Short History