A new historic marker will be dedicated at Rogers Island, in the Hudson River at Fort Edward. The marker commemorates the history of the site where Major Robert Rogers wrote his Rules of Ranging in 1757.
Fort Edward was at one time located in Dutch New Netherlands territory on the ancient Native American route through the Hudson and Champlain Valleys. A trading post was built there in the 1730s by J.H. Lydius.
Fort Edward (1755) was one of the largest military fortifications in North America and a northern outpost of the British Empire. It spanned both Channels of the Hudson River with the main structure on the mainland of the East Channel, a military hospital on the island and a large Royal Block House on a bluff of the West Channel.