The county’s original poor house was a modified farmhouse that had been purchased from Hugh Hawkins in 1826 and sat where the current county jail and animal shelter are today in the Town of Milton.
With the influx of people to the county throughout the 19th-century, the poor house was no longer adequate to care for the number of people who needed assistance. In 1873, a new two-story brick building was constructed with separate wings for men and women. By the end of the year, it was move-in ready. [Read more…] about A Special Christmas At Saratoga County’s Poorhouse