Opened in 1841 to carry canal boats over the Schoharie Creek, Schoharie Aqueduct was one of the major aqueducts of the enlarged Erie Canal. This impressive structure is a centerpiece of the Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site in Fort Hunter. But years of deterioration threaten the stability of the aqueduct and only six of its original 14 stone arches remain. [Read more…] about Steps Taken to Preserve Schoharie Aqueduct
The Rome Historical Society is set to host food and beverage writer Don Cazentre on Wednesday, June 19th. Cazentre will share his research on the Mamie Taylor and other Upstate-connected cocktails in his book Spirits and Cocktails of Upstate New York: A History.
Upstate New York has held its place in cocktail history for centuries, beginning with the term “cocktail” itself. The word first appeared in an 1806 Hudson Valley newspaper, when an editor described a cocktail as “a stimulating liquor composed of spirits of any kind – sugar, water, and bitters – it is vulgarly called a bittered sling and is supposed to be an excellent electioneering potion, inasmuch as it renders the heart stout and bold, at the same time that it fuddles the head.” [Read more…] about Spirits and Cocktails of Upstate NY Program in Rome
Amateur and professional photographers are invited to submit entries for the 14th annual Erie Canalway Photo Contest. Photos should convey the wealth of things to do and see along the waterway and express the beauty and unique character of the canal and canal communities. Winning photos will be featured in the 2020 Erie Canalway calendar. [Read more…] about Erie Canalway Photo Contest Call for Entries
Archaeologists from Binghamton University, State University of New York have started their search for the remains of the French and Indian War’s Fort Bull, an important British military outpost on Wood Creek at the Oneida Carry near Rome, NY.
Rome Historical Society (RHS) is working with Binghamton University’s Public Archaeology Facility (PAF) to locate and identify cultural features related to the British fortification. The research is a first step in the path to preservation for Fort Bull. [Read more…] about Archaeological Survey Begins Search For Fort Bull
Historian Jeff O’Connor of Turning Point 1777 is set to present “The Restless Palatines of Schoharie Valley” at the Old Stone Fort Museum on Saturday, June 1 at 1 pm.
This interactive program will incorporate the grounds of the museum, as well as the surrounding landscape, to help illustrate key elements of early Palatine experiences in the valley. [Read more…] about Palatine Settler Tour at the Old Stone Fort
Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site has announced the return of the Putman Porch Music series for its fifth year starting on Thursday, June 6th at 6 pm. This series invites local musicians to spend an evening on the historic Putman Canal Store porch. Putman’s store building is located at Yankee Hill Lock on the grounds of Schoharie Crossing, 553 Queen Anne Road. [Read more…] about 5th Annual Music Series at Schoharie Crossing
More than 125 paddlers are set to fill the Waterford Flight of locks with colorful kayaks, canoes, and SUPs on Sunday, June 2 from 9 am to noon, to kick off the Canalway Challenge in the Capital Region.
The half-day trip takes participants on an easy 2.7 mile flat water stretch through the towering Erie Canal Locks 2-6, a set of five locks with a lift of 169 feet in just over 1.5 miles. [Read more…] about Waterford Flight Paddle Kicks-off Canalway Challenge
The Old Stone Fort Museum Complex, in collaboration with local chapters of the Sons of the Union Veterans of the Civil War and the American Legion, has announced the return of their Decoration Day ceremony, set for Thursday, May 30th at 6 pm. This event will also be highlighted by performances by the Schoharie Valley Singers and Uncle Billy’s Balladeers.
The first Decoration Day observance in Schoharie County is believed to have occurred in Cobleskill in 1877, by the Civil War veterans organization the Grand Army of the Republic or GAR. That organization was later succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans. [Read more…] about Decoration Day Event at the Old Stone Fort
The Friends of Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site are set to welcome Thomas Grasso to discuss the bedrock and ice age geologic history of the region, and how this long and complex natural history affected human history by controlling the route of the canal and the obstacles that had to be overcome.
Some of the local quarries that supplied stone for locks and aqueducts will be mentioned. [Read more…] about Geology of the Erie Canal Program at Schoharie Crossing
On March 14, 2019 the French and Indian War fortification known as Fort Wood Creek was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Fort Wood Creek, located on the Rome Historical Society’s Fort Bull property, dates to 1756 when it was constructed by the British to replace Fort Bull after it had been attacked and destroyed by 362 French and their Native allies. [Read more…] about Fort Wood Creek Named to National Register