Early listeners to WIPS radio (1250 AM) in Ticonderoga could tune in “Adirondack Capers” at 6:05 weekday mornings and “The Alarm Clock Club” at 7:05, 7:40 and 8:05. If school was canceled for a snow day, the superintendent notified WIPS at 6:10 am, before notifying bus drivers.
WIPS, a late comer in the Adirondack AM radio market, went on the air August 2, 1955, broadcasting a pre-recorded dedication speech by New York Governor Averell Harriman.
The station’s offices and studio were on Fort Ticonderoga Road, near the Lake Champlain ferry to Vermont. Mural paintings of Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Defiance, 18th century military sites nearby, decorated the office walls.
The station offered music “running the gamut from classical to hillbilly,” and broadcast programs produced by a handful of local churches. Calypso joined the play list in February 1957, much to the chagrin of some.
“Listen to three or four of the current calypso records, and, happy dreams for our money, we’ll still take Rock and Roll,” said Ray Miller, announcer for the afternoon “1250 Club” program. Elvis Presley’s recording of “Peace in the Valley” debuted on the station in March 1957.
The station’s first newscaster, beginning in September 7, 1955, was Milton Rayburn, regional correspondent for The New York Times and publisher of the Schroon Lake Summer Weekly Guide seasonal newspaper. Broadcast of Brooklyn Dodgers games was started in spring 1956.
On August 2, 1956, the station celebrated its first birthday, pledging to continue providing “a public service to the community in both its religious and civic life.” On August 2, 1957, the station had a dual celebration of its second birthday and its increase in power from 500 to 1,000 watts.
State Assemblyman Grant Johnson (R-Ticonderoga), Ticonderoga Supervisor Frances Malaney, Ticonderoga Mayor John Bevilacqua, and Martin Karig, president of Portage Broadcasting Co., participated in a celebratory broadcast.
Karig had previously launched radio stations in Glens Falls and Middletown, Conn. In August 1958, Karig sold WIPS to Olean Broadcasting Corp., which also owned stations in Olean, Rome and Glens Falls.
WIPS, like many small radio stations, was a revolving door for announcers and managers. Thomas Leighton, the original general manager, was replaced in February 1956 by Dale Robertson, of Gloversville. Robertson resigned in March 1958, and his wife, Ruth Robertson, who had been assistant manager, was promoted to general manager.
Robert Roddy took over as general manager when Olean Broadcasting bought the station in August 1958. Roddy transferred to another of the chain’s stations in June 1959.
Jack Irish took over as WIPS general manager, and was replaced by William Pawley in December 1959.
A fire destroyed the station’s studio and transmitter on the shore’s of Lake Champlain in 1981. The station hung on until 2008, with a brief rebirth in 2009, before closing for good in that year.
Read more about New York State radio history here.
Illustrations, from above courtesy WIPS News Facebook Page: a cae. 1950s WIPS advertisement and the announcer Bill Midkiff in the WIPS Studio, ca. 1970s.
Leave a Reply