On November 17th, NYS Environmental Conservation Officer Ableson teamed up with New York City Urban Park Rangers to patrol Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. Employees of the Bartow-Pell Mansion, a historic house museum in the park, approached Ableson during the patrol to report a loose dog on the museum grounds.
The ECO eventually gathered the large husky with no tags or GPS collar, secured the dog in his vehicle, and transported it to the Animal Care Centers of New York City for a checkup and to look for a microchip.
With no microchip, the Officer began to lose hope of finding the dog’s owner until he received a call from Urban Park Ranger Rodriguez who advised two men on the trail were looking for their lost husky. A short drive later and the dog, named Mowgli, was reunited with his owners.
Originally inhabited by the Lenape since ca 1,000 AD, Lenapehoking, now Pelham Bay Park, was acquired in 1654 by Connecticut physician Thomas Pell through treaty with five Lenni Lenape Sachem: Shawan Orochquot, Poquorum, Annoke, Wawhamkus and Mehumow that included 50,000 acres of what is today the Bronx and lower Westchester County.
The property was passed briefly to the LeRoy family before Robert Bartow, a Pell descendant, and his wife, Maria Lorillard, purchased a portion in 1836 and completed the mansion by 1842.
The Bartow family remained there until 1888, when the city of New York purchased the property along with many other acres that now make up Pelham Bay Park. In 1914, the city leased the site to the International Garden Club.
The club hired the architectural firm Delano & Aldrich to restore the mansion and design the formal garden. The building opened as a museum in 1946, and in 2008 the International Garden Club was renamed Bartow-Pell Conservancy.
Photo of Mowgli, the husky lost in Pelham Bay Park with ECO Ableson, who reunited the dog with it’s family provided by DEC.