The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and Olympic Regional Development Authority (Olympic Authority) have released the final Unit Management Plan (UMP) for the Belleayre Ski Center. Belleayre Ski Center is located in Highmount in the town of Shandaken, Ulster County, within the Catskill Forest Preserve and is the only State-operated ski center in the Catskills.
This is the second amendment to the Belleayre UMP since the Olympic Authority assumed management responsibility of the Belleayre Ski Center in 2016. The plan proposes upgrades to trails and ski center infrastructure that will allow the center to run efficiently and effectively, improve the visitor experience, and expand the usability of the site by the public in non-winter months.
The following significant management actions are included in the final UMP:
- Construction of new gondola cabin maintenance building;
- Creation of a new beginner ski area with conveyor lift;
- Re-alignment of existing Lift 7;
- Creation of a pedestrian staircase connecting parking lots A and B;
- Installation of electric vehicle charging stations;
- Expansions of the administration building and Longhouse Lodge;
- Modifications to existing Nordic and Alpine ski trails;
- Creation of new hiking and mountain biking trails; and
- Relocation of the previously approved snowmaking reservoir.
The final UMP for the Belleayre Ski Center can be viewed on DEC’s website.
Photo of Belleayre Ski Mountain lodge courtesy ORDA.