The Glove Theatre, built-in 1914, is a hidden treasure in downtown Gloversville, in Fulton County, NY. Originally designed as an 800-seat theater that could show an array of performances, from vaudeville, concerts, and ultimately movies. In 1920 it became the flagship theater and home office of Schine Enterprises until 1965. It did not originally have a marque, but in 1939 the current marque was installed to resemble other local theaters.
Through the 1950s, it was one of the largest theater venues in Fulton and Montgomery Counties, and thereafter ran movies until closing in the 1970s. Since 1995, the theater has been maintained by a local group of volunteers under the auspices of the Gloversville Theatre Corporation.
The organization’s Board of Directors will host a ceremony to unveil an new historic marker under the marquee on Saturday, June 3rd, prior to the Southern Adirondacks Food and Wine Festival and Glove Cities Arts Alliance 2023 Arts Walk.
At the unveiling, speakers include NYS Senator Mark Walczyk (SD 49), NYS Assemblymember Robert Smullen (AD 118), Fulton County Board of Supervisors Vice Chairman John Blackmon, City of Gloversville Mayor Vincent DeSantis, and Glove Theatre Vice President Alex Miller.
The historic marker was fully funded with a grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation with the help from Museum Curator Richard Samrov, Joann Samrov, and numerous community volunteers.
The Glove Theatre is located at 42 North Main Street, in Gloversville. The program will begin at 2 pm.
For more information on The Glove and upcoming programming, visit their website, or call (518) 752-4611.
Photo of Glove Theatre courtesy Wikimedia user LX Miller.