The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has announced that its free lifeguard qualifying procedures begin Saturday, February 4th, 2023.
Individuals 15 and older interested in lifeguarding positions at DEC facilities this summer are eligible to register. Candidates who qualify will be considered for employment. The qualifying procedure consists of two parts: a Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) skills component; and a water skills evaluation. Candidates may attend the qualifying location most convenient to them and the results will be forwarded to their preferred work location.
Seasonal lifeguard positions are available at DEC campgrounds throughout the Adirondack and Catskill parks. The current hourly starting rate for New York State lifeguards is $20 an hour, and most DEC facilities offer free housing or site accommodations.
At the time of employment, all DEC lifeguards must:
- Be at least 15 years old;
- Possess a valid certification in Waterfront Skills, Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent;
- Have successfully completed the New York State lifeguard qualifying procedure;
- Submitted a current New York State DEC medical form stating the candidate’s physical ability to perform lifeguard duties;
- Meet the vision requirement of 20/70 uncorrected in both eyes and be correctable to the 20/40 standard. Candidates tested at a vision
- level below 20/40 in either one or both eyes must correct to a minimum of 20/40 with 20/20 preferred;
- Have completed a personal interview with DEC; and
- Have attended a DEC lifeguard orientation.
2023 Lifeguard Qualifying Dates and Locations
Saturday, February 4th, at 9 am at Franklin Academy 42 Huskie Lane Malone
Friday, February 24th, at 4:30 pm at Gloversville Middle School 234 Lincoln Street Gloversville
Saturday, February 25th, at 9 am at Queensbury Elementary School 431 Aviation Road Queensbury
Friday, March 3rd, at 4 pm at Catskill Recreation Center 651 County Hwy 38 Arkville
Monday, April 10th, at 9 am at Gloversville Middle School 234 Lincoln Street Gloversville
Friday, April 14th, at 4:30 pm at Gloversville Middle School 234 Lincoln Street Gloversville
Saturday, April 29th, at 9 am at Moriah Central School 39 Viking Lane Port Henry
Friday, May 26th, at 4 pm at Catskill Recreation Center 651 County Hwy 38 Arkville
Saturday, June 3rd, at 9 am at Gloversville Middle School 234 Lincoln Street Gloversville
Saturday, June 24th, at 9 am at Moriah Central School 39 Viking Lane Port Henry
Qualifying procedures will begin on time and late arrivals will not be accepted. Candidates must bring photo identification, current certifications (if available), and their own CPR mask and one-way valve. DEC reserves the right to cancel. DEC is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information, updates, or to pre-register, call 518-457-2500 ext. #1, e-mail DEC at Info.Lifeguard@dec.ny.gov, or visit the Employment Opportunities in Summer Recreation webpage on DEC’s website.
Leave a Reply