Preservation Long Island has announced the recipients of their biennial Preservation Awards, which recognize individuals, organizations, and projects that demonstrate extraordinary achievement in fields related to historic preservation on Long Island.
Preservation Long Island has awarded two Project Excellence Awards and four Organizational Awards.
• Webb Institute and Bentel & Bentel Architects for historically sensitive design of the Couch Academic Center, a new facility for teaching, learning, and collaboration in Glen Cove.
• Paul and Catherine Herkovic, historic homeowners, for outstanding stewardship and rehabilitation of the Stanley H. Lowndes House in Northport.
• Southampton African American Museum (SAAM) for excellence in education and advocacy for the preservation of Black heritage sites in Southampton Village.
• Ma’s House & BIPOC Art Studio for creative community-driven leadership in preserving Ma’s House as a shared art space, studio, and library at the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.
• Van Wyck-Lefferts Tide Mill Sanctuary & Huntington Historical Society for their innovative approach to public access and stewardship at the Van Wyck-Lefferts Tide Mill.
• Village of East Hills for leadership in new approaches to local preservation and for achieving a meaningful mitigation of adverse impacts on John Mackay III’s Happy House via environmental review.
Each of the six awardees will be recognized in award presentations and related programming taking place from June and through September.
Southampton African American Museum will be presented with its 2022 Preservation Award at the museum’s Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June 18th. For more information about their Juneteenth program, click here.
Webb Institute and Bentel & Bentel Architects will receive their award at Preservation Long Island’s Annual Benefit Party on Friday, June 24th. For event information and tickets, click here.
The 2022 Preservation Award event for Ma’s House & BIPOC Art Studio will take place on Sunday, September 11th at the Preservation Long Island Custom House located on Main Street in Sag Harbor.
For more information, visit the Preservation Long Island website.
Leave a Reply