The Ticonderoga Sentinel resumed publication on June 4th, 1875 after several weeks of dormancy — a “New Sentinel” printed on a new Fairhaven brand press, sporting a new masthead and laid out in a new format with additional front-page advertising.
The 16-month-old newspaper was advancing from crawling to toddling.
“The delay occasioned by the changes we have been making in our office in order to meet the growing demands upon us has been much longer than expected,” an editorial apologized.
“But we are now fully equipped with new presses and new type, and from this time on, the Sentinel will be published each week, and it will be no fault of ours if it does not reach every subscriber.”
It was hoped that the new printing press would bring increased supplemental printing business that was important to the bottom line.
The editorial pledged to refrain from societal and political bias. [The paper did not. – Ed.]
“We are not just here to publish a paper in the interests of any one class, clique or party, but to conserve, and in all ways possible advance, the interests of all.”
New subscribers were essential to the venture being profitable.
“Join hands with us therefore, fellow citizens, in the work we have to do. Labor with us to increase the circulation of our paper, that, with an increase of circulation, we may be able to do the greater good.”
Advertisers as well as correspondents who could supply timely copy also were needed.
“The press is the educator of the people. It has done more to illumine the dark places of the earth than all other things beside. … Now, inasmuch as a local press is needed in this place, and inasmuch as we have been to great expense to refit, enlarge, and improve our printing office, we call on every citizen to help us make our paper a proper success.
H. M. Mott and T.M. Tobin published the first issue of the Sentinel on February 7th, 1874.
Click here to read about the first issue in a previous New York Almanack post.
Photo of Ticonderoga Sentinel provided.