The Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation was one of 25 preservation organizations across the country to receive a grant from The 1772 Foundation. The $35,000 grant is to establish a historic property redevelopment program (HPRP).
The 1772 Foundation, based in Connecticut, works to ensure the safe passage of historic buildings and farmland for future generations. It is named in honor of its first restoration project, Liberty Hall in New Jersey, which was built in 1772. The 1772 Foundation plays a leading role in promoting HPRPs, also known as revolving funds, nationwide.
This year, The 1772 Foundation awarded $1,078,000. Organizations that received HRPP funding include: Cincinnati Preservation Association (OH), Cleveland Restoration Society (OH), Columbus Landmarks (OH), Fairmount Park Conservancy (PA), Galveston Historical Foundation (TX), The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation (GA), Historic Augusta Incorporated (GA), Historic Macon Foundation (GA), Historic Richmond (VA), Historic Wilmington Foundation (NC), The L’Enfant Trust, (Washington DC), Meridian Architectural Trust (MS), National Main Street Center (IL), New Bern Preservation Foundation (NC), Partners for Sacred Places (PA), Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans (LA), Restore Mobile (AL), Preserve Montana, and New York City Historic Properties Fund.
The $35,000 grant that the Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation received will be invested into 65 Phila Street, the first property to be rehabilitated under the Foundation’s new Historic Property Redevelopment Program.
Last year, the Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation purchased the 1851 Alexander A. Patterson House, which is important because of its associations with early development of the city, spring waters, and the Jewish community. The Foundation will complete environmental abatement, make structural repairs, and complete an exterior restoration prior to selling it to someone who will complete the interior rehabilitation and be a good steward for years to come.
The Foundation’s Revive 65 Committee has evaluated the existing conditions of the building, including an environmental assessment and window survey, as well as completed architectural drawings, existing and proposed. In March, the City of Saratoga Springs Design Review Commission approved the Foundation’s historic review application. The building permit to perform initial work was approved at the end of April. Environmental abatement work is planned to take place in the upcoming month.
For more information visit the Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation website or call (518) 587-5030.