Hampered by rules about railroads crossing state lines, the Erie built a pier nearly a mile long across the marshy bay at Piermont and out to the deeper parts of the Hudson River, where steamboats could pick up passengers and take them on to New York City.
During the Second World War, some 500,000 soldiers stepped-off the pier onto troop ships headed for Europe, earning it the nickname “Last Stop U.S.A.”
More information about the history of Piermont Pier, especially its role in the Second World War, is available on the Piermont Historical Society website.
Some of the older portions of the pier were also historical hazards, as the Tugboat “Osceola” found out in 1903.
Photos, from above: Piermont Pier as it looks today courtesy Synchronous New York; and the pier during its heyday courtesy Nyack Library Local History Room.