The Wild Center has added to its winter programming with free snowshoe and kicksled rentals, guided ice fishing on its Greenleaf Pond and ice sculptures. These experiences – and more – are available Fridays through Sundays from 10 am to 5 pm with timed ticket reservations.
The Wild Center continues to host Wild Lights presented by Merrill L. Thomas, Inc. on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5 to 7 pm when the 115-acre campus is transformed into a winter wonderland with thousands of dazzling lights.
Seasonal activities included with The Wild Center’s regular admission:
- Winter Wild-Walk: Take in stunning views of the ice-capped Adirondack mountains from the award-winning platformed trail along the treetops. There will also be snow activities including a snowball-throwing range and winter skeeball.
- Free snowshoe and kicksled rentals: Explore The Wild Center’s trails with free snowshoe rentals or the popular Scandinavian activity, kicksledding.
- Ice fishing on Greenleaf Pond: Peek under the ice to see what happens to Adirondack lakes and ponds during winter as a Wild Center guide shows you ice fishing techniques.
- Ice sculptures: Three frozen ice sculptures, including an otter and a loon hand-carved by internationally recognized ice sculptor Stan Kolonoko, will be on display around the campus.
- Outdoor otter play yard: Watch as the river otters roll, hop and slide through the snow.
- Welded Steel: Shape, Form and Light: See how snow changes the appearance and interpretation of Adirondack-based artist Barney Bellinger’s 17 large-scale steel sculptures.
- Forest Music: Stroll through an immersive sound trail as you listen to “Iron Harvest,” a musical piece inspired by Bellinger’s sculptures featuring metallic sounds and instruments.
- Hopscotch, a Stickwork sculpture: Walk through the larger-than-life stick sculpture, created by weaving together thousands of locally sourced saplings.
During winter week, February 18th through 26th, The Wild Center will be open every day and will remain open evenings for Wild Lights. Day-time admission to The Wild Center is $20 for adults and $12 for youth. Entry to Wild Lights is included with regular day-time admission, or as an event-only ticket for $10 for adults and $5 for youth.
Reservations for The Wild Center and Wild Lights are required for all guests and members. For more information on current guidelines and reservations, refer to The Wild Center’s Visit page.
Photo of Wild Winter Nights at the Wild Center provided.