The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) polled their Fisheries staff across the state for their recommendations for non-traditional holiday gifts for anglers and received a bunch of great ideas.
Here are some of them:
- Polarized sunglasses
- Gift card or deposit for a fishing charter next season
- A lifetime fishing license
- A fiberglass replica of a once-in-a-lifetime catch
- Artificial trout lures to enjoy the new catch-and-release trout season (on inland streams)
- A new PFD (personal flotation device) designed for anglers (now you can ditch the old, clunky life jacket hanging up in your garage)
- Merino wool socks, heated socks/gloves, neoprene/rubber coated gloves (ice fishing season is right around the corner!)
- LED headlamp
- Portable fish finder
- Adaptive fishing gear for anyone with family/friends who have limited hand or arm function due to significant injury or arthritis, or any other disability that impairs their ability to cast, reel, etc. Many people who have lost the ability to do what they love doing may not even realize that their days of enjoying fishing are not over.
- Handmade “Free Fishing Day/Trip” coupons
- Smoked salmon (or other fish) gift box
- Modern knife sharpening system
- A new landing net with a rubber-coated bag (the fish you release will thank you)
- A dry bag/sack
Photo of Christmas lights at sunset provided by DEC.