DEC recently released the Recreation Management Plan (RMP) for the Flatrock Mountain Conservation Easement.
The Flatrock Mountain Conservation Easement encompasses approximately 511 acres southwest of Old Forge in the town of Webb, Herkimer County. This property is primarily accessed from State Route 28 and Minnehaha Road.
DEC and the property owner, the Northeastern Loggers’ Association, collaborated on the RMP for the conservation easement, which will increase opportunities for recreation in Herkimer County, including:
- A new nearly one-mile-long multiple use hiking, mountain biking, and skiing recreational trail;
- A new 0.7-mile-long snowmobile trail also open to hiking and mountain biking;
- Designation of an existing logging road and snowmobile trail for ATV use by people with mobility impairments who have a Motorized Access Program for People with Disabilities permit;
- Construction of two accessible parking spaces and a new informational kiosk; and
- Construction of a three-car parking lot at the trailhead for one of the new trails off Minnehaha Road.
Visit DEC’s website for information about the Flatrock Mountain Conservation Easement, nearby DEC-managed lands, and the RMP.
Map of proposed Flatrock Mountain Conservation Easement provided.