The Historic Chapel, located just down the hill from the Cemetery’s main entrance in Brooklyn, is an icon of Green-Wood’s landscape. Designed in 1911 by the architectural firm of Warren & Wetmore, the Neo-Gothic design features 41 carved window openings, filled with figurative stained glass.
In 2018, a comprehensive restoration of the building interior, including the stained glass windows, was begun, with Walter B. Melvin Architects, LLC leading the building restoration and Julie L. Sloan leading the stained glass work.
The restored building once again provides visitors to Green-Wood a most peaceful sanctuary to rest, contemplate and remember, and will help serve the chapel’s recent use at Green-Wood as a home for art and music programming.
Since 1984, the Preservation League of NYS’s statewide awards program has highlighted projects, organizations, publications, and individuals that represent the best in the field of historic preservation.
The Awards recognize the people who are using historic preservation to build stronger neighborhoods, create local jobs, provide affordable housing, open our eyes to overlooked history, and save special places.
Additional 2021 Awardees include:
Clinton Avenue Historic Apartments | Albany, NY
Proctors Collaborative | Albany + Saratoga Springs
SUNY Broome Culinary & Event Center | Binghamton, Broome Co.
Arbor Gerard Block & Carroll St Warehouse Rehabilitation Project | Elmira, Chemung Co.
Steven Engelhart | Keeseville, Clinton Co.
Preservation Buffalo Niagara | Buffalo, Erie Co.
Whitcomb’s Garage Adaptive Reuse Project | Whallonsburg, Essex Co
Central Presbyterian Church Exterior Restoration | Manhattan, New York Co.
@syracusehistory (Instagram by David Haas) | Syracuse, Onondaga Co.
Photo of Green-Wood’s historic chapel seen from the northwest after restoration courtesy Walter B. Melvin Architects.