Nominations for the Martha Washington Woman of History Award, given to a woman who has distinguished herself in the field of Hudson Valley history, are currently being sought. The award is presented at Washington’s Headquarters’s annual program,“The General’s Lady,” held in the spring, during Women’s History Month.
The Woman of History award acknowledges Martha Washington’s important place in history as a devoted patriot in support of the American Revolution and the ensuing new nation. This will be the twentieth year the award is given, continuing the site’s desire to honor women who carry on Martha Washington’s legacy by sharing in their devotion to Hudson Valley history.
Along with 2021 recipient, Sue Gardner, previous recipients of the award are:
- 2003 Janet Dempsey – Author/Historian
- 2004 Carol Ash – former Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- 2005 Patricia Favata – Author/Historian
- 2006 Barbara Bedell – TIMES-HERALD RECORD columnist
- 2007 Mary McTamaney – City of Newburgh Historian
- 2008 Mary Mangione – former Hudson River Valley Greenway Director
- 2009 Elizabeth McKean – City of Newburgh Records Management Director
- 2010 Mary Ann Fish – Environmental Historian
- 2011 Mara Farrell – Community Activist
- 2012 Stella Bailey – Historian/Preservationist
- 2013 Mary Etta Schneider – Preservationist
- 2014 Mary Sudman Donovan – Author/Historian
- 2014 Kathleen P. Mitchell – Founder’s Award
- 2015 Willa Skinner – Historian/Author
- 2016 Denise Doring VanBuren – Historian/Preservationist
- 2017 Mary Ellen Matise – Historian/Researcher/Educator
- 2018 Dawn Elliott – Historic interpreter/Reenactor/ Educator
- 2019 Mildred Starin – Historic Advocate and Preservationist
- 2020 Ruth Piwonka – Historian and Preservationist
- 2021 Sue Gardner – Historial Archivist and Librarian
Nominations must be completed and received by January 7th, 2022. To access a nomination form, click here or call (845) 562-1195.
Portrait of Martha Washington.