The Lilac Preservation Project has announced that Lilac, America’s only surviving steam-powered lighthouse tender located in New York Harbor, will re-open to the public on Saturday, July 24th, from 2 to 6 pm, and will be open every Saturday and Sunday through mid-October. Exhibits and performances are expected to resume in August.
Lilac is a retired Coast Guard cutter that carried supplies to lighthouses and maintained buoys from 1933 to 1972. USCGC Lilac is America’s only surviving steam-powered lighthouse tender and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Instead of being able to walk into spaces, the ship will be toured from the open deck. Visitors will be able to look into spaces through open doorways. New interpretation has been added next to each doorway to explain what visitors are seeing.
Reservations are required to come aboard and can be made online. There are ten open slots each half hour with the last one at 5:30 pm each day. A QR code on the pier will allow late reservations to be made at the entrance if spaces remain.
The Lilac is located at Pier 25 at Hudson River Park, West Street, New York.
Photo of Lilac courtesy Lilac Preservation Project.