The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has announced they are seeking public comment on the draft Recreation Management Plan (RMP) for Flatrock Mountain Conservation Easement.
The 511-acre easement tract is located southwest of Old Forge in the town of Webb, Herkimer County, between State Route 28 and Middle Branch Moose River.
The draft RMP proposes:
- A 0.5-mile multiple use hiking, mountain biking, and skiing recreational trail.
- 0.7 miles of new snowmobile trail also open to hiking and mountain biking.
- Construction of a new lean-to near the top of Flatrock Mountain.
- Designation of an existing logging road and snowmobile trail for ATV use by people with mobility impairments who hold a Motorized Access Program for People with Disabilities (MAPPWD) permit.
- Construction of two accessible parking spaces along with a nearby informational kiosk; and
- Construction of a three-car parking lot at the trailhead for one of the new trails off Minnehaha Road.
The draft RMP and a PowerPoint presentation are available for public review. During the State’s continued response to COVID-19, DEC is not holding an in-person public meeting. DEC will accept public comments through April 23rd, 2021, by email: email@example.com or by regular mail, addressed to Michael Marsh, Forester, NYS-DEC 225 N. Main Street Herkimer, NY 13350.
Map of proposed Flatrock Mountain Conservation Easement Recreational Facilities provided.