For two Christmases, John and Catherine Ellison shared their home with the officers and soldiers of the Continental Army. Over the winter of 1780-81, General Henry Knox, his wife Lucy and their children Henry and Lucy were there, while two years later it was General Horatio Gates and his military family of aides de camp who shared in the season’s festivities.
Admission will be by reservation only, with time slots available on the following dates:
Tuesdays: December 8th, 15th, and 22nd from 11 am to noon, noon to 1 pm, 1 to 2 pm, 2 to 3 pm, 3 to; 4 pm;
Wednesdays: December 9th, 16th, and 23rd from 11 am to noon, noon to 1 pm, 1 to 2 pm, 2 to 3 pm, 3 to; 4 pm;
Thursdays: December 10th and 17th from 11 am to noon, noon to 1 pm, 1 to 2 pm, 2 to 3 pm, 3 to; 4 pm;
Fridays: December 11th and 18th from 1 to 2 pm, 2 to 3 pm, 3 to 4 pm, 4to 5 pm, 5 to 6pm, 6 to 7 pm, 8 to 9 pm; and
Saturdays: December 5th, 12th and 19th from 1 to 2 pm, 2 to 3 pm, 3 to 4 pm, 4to 5 pm, 5 to 6pm, 6 to 7 pm, 8 to 9 pm.
Knox’s Headquarters State Historic Site is one of 35 historic sites within the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and one of 40 facilities administered by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission in New York and New Jersey.
Knox’s Headquarters is located at 289 Forge Hill Road, in Vails Gate. For more information or to reserve a time, call (845) 561-1765 ext. 22.