The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has released a final Recreation Management Plan (RMP) for the Croghan Tract Conservation Easement.
The Croghan Tract Easement is comprised of 12,816 acres of private forestland in the towns of Croghan and Watson in Lewis County.
Included in the final RMP is an inventory of natural and man-made resources and various opportunities for public recreation:
- Continued use of 11 miles of road and the opening of an additional 5.3 miles of road to access the Croghan Tract and adjacent Forest Preserve lands;
- Designation and construction of 11 parking areas;
- Maintenance of 27.2 miles of snowmobile routes, including rights-of-way and secondary trails to serve as alternative routes during logging operations. Changes to the current snowmobile network include a reroute away from a hunting camp (0.3 miles), and a new trail to avoid plowed roads during logging operations (3.4 miles);
- Construction of a 0.6 -mile foot trail to access the Eagle Canyon forest preserve parcel;
- Designation of nine campsites including two accessible campsites;
- An accessible car-top boat launch at Soft Maple Reservoir;
- Access to hunting, fishing, and trapping throughout the property, subject to applicable seasons and regulations; and
- New informational signage at primary access points.
The Croghan Tract Conservation Easement RMP is posted to view or download on the DEC website.