The Historical Association of Lewiston, the Niagara Falls National Heritage Area, Artpark and Old Fort Niagara are set to celebrate the 300th Anniversary of Le Magazin Royal Niagara Trading Post on September 12th, at Artpark in Lewiston.
In May 1720, Joncaire and ten Frenchmen landed their canoes and began construction of a bark-covered trading post that they quickly christened, Le Magazin Royal, the Royal Store. Le Magazin became the center of Native-French diplomacy and trade on the Niagara until eclipsed by Fort Niagara’s construction in 1726.
This free event will feature a reenactment of Joncaire’s landing, Native American dancing, an exhibit of artifacts from the original Magazin Royal, and historic cooking demonstrations.
Native dancers will perform at 11:30 am and 12:30 pm and musket firing demonstrations will take place at noon and 1 pm. Ongoing demonstrations will include Native crafts, a display of wampum belts, and a cooking demonstration of recipes that were prepared at Le Magazin 300 years ago.
The program will end when Lawrence Claessen, representing the English, arrives to demand that the French demolish the trading post about 1:30 pm.
Photos, from above: Historic interpreters portray trade and diplomacy between a French soldier and Native American; and watercolor of Le Magazin Royal as it would have appeared in the 1720s courtesy Historic Association of Lewiston collection.