The Samuel de Champlain History Center has received a grant for $3,500 from the Champlain Valley National Heritage Partnership.
The grant, made through CVNHP’s Collections Grant program, will fund the digitization, cataloging and preservation of the History Center’s photograph collection.
The collection documents life in and around the town and village of Champlain from the late 19th century to the present day and includes a wealth of images of Champlain and Clinton County families, landscapes, and events over generations. Digital access to the collection will be a welcome and useful resource to researchers and community members alike.
The Samuel de Champlain History Center, established by founder and director Celine Racine Paquette during preparations for the 2009 Champlain Quadricentennial, is located in the village of Champlain in the historic former First National Bank of Champlain building at 202 Elm Street, constructed in 1880. It is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and New York State-chartered museum that seeks to preserve the Village and Town of Champlain’s history and promote awareness of French migration and settlement in what is now the United States.
More information on the Samuel de Champlain History Center can be found on their website.