The Depot Theatre in Westport has been awarded a Preserve New York grant of $4,712 to complete a condition analysis of the 1876 train station in which the theatre resides.
The Depot Theatre is a nonprofit, professional theatre located in a historic, functioning 1876 train station owned by the Town of Westport, and it is the only theatre in New York’s Adirondack Park that operates under an agreement with Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers in the United States. The theatre is also the caretaker of the station on behalf of Amtrak.
The Depot was built in 1876 for the Delaware and Hudson Railroad and retains many of its original features such as a cast iron bell, slate roof with bracketed overhanging eaves and exposed rafters, an elaborate belfry, clapboard and board and batten siding, cross gables with decorative woodworking, and a ribbon of multi-paned casement windows.
The building is owned by the Town of Westport. The Depot is a center for the performing arts in the Adirondack/Champlain Valley region, and also an active train stop which brings residents and visitors to Westport.
Vermont Integrated Architecture is expected to complete the condition analysis of the Depot building. The work is funded by the Preservation League of NYS through the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA).
Photo of Depot Theatre in Westport provided.
A version of this article first appeared on the Adirondack Almanack.