A new historic marker will be dedicated at Rogers Island, in the Hudson River at Fort Edward. The marker commemorates the history of the site where Major Robert Rogers wrote his Rules of Ranging in 1757.
Fort Edward was at one time located in Dutch New Netherlands territory on the ancient Native American route through the Hudson and Champlain Valleys. A trading post was built there in the 1730s by J.H. Lydius.
Fort Edward (1755) was one of the largest military fortifications in North America and a northern outpost of the British Empire. It spanned both Channels of the Hudson River with the main structure on the mainland of the East Channel, a military hospital on the island and a large Royal Block House on a bluff of the West Channel.
The Rogers Island Heritage Development Alliance interprets the history of Rogers Island at its Visitors Center which includes French and Indian War-era exhibits and artifacts discovered through archaeological digs led by David Starbuck, PhD, of the SUNY Adirondack Field School. Each September, re-enactors hold a French and Indian War Encampment on Rogers Island.
The New York State Society Daughters of the American Colonists is set to dedicate the new historic marker at a special ceremony on Saturday, October 26, at 3 pm. The marker will be installed on Rogers Island Drive near its intersection with Bridge Street.
The site of the post-Ceremony reception, the Old Fort House, 29 Broadway, in Fort Edward, was constructed in 1772 with timbers taken from the ruins of Fort Edward. During the Revolutionary period, the house operated as a tavern, serving future presidents George Washington and James Monroe. In 1953, the Old Fort House Museum opened to the public, and, today, the Old Fort House Museum includes five-buildings that present local history and artifacts.
Attendees are encouraged to tour the Rogers Island Visitors Center beginning at 2 pm and to attend the post-ceremony reception at the Old Fort House Museum. All events are open to the public at no charge.
Illustration: Color mezzotint of a representation of American ranger Robert Rogers, by Johann Martin Will, from the Anne S K Brown Military Collection.