Historic Huguenot Street has commissioned fine artist Len Tantillo to create a series of three paintings, looking at Huguenot Street during different times in history. The paintings will become part of the permanent collection at Historic Huguenot Street, enhancing the museum’s interpretations and aiding visitors in understanding what the street has looked like in the past.
The first painting, The Huguenot Redoubt, c. 1685, was completed earlier this year with the help of donated funds and is now on display in the DuBois Fort Visitor Center.
With a heavy emphasis on the use of primary resources and modern technology to create historically accurate paintings, Tantillo has exhibited his work across America and internationally. Based on decades of archaeological research conducted on the grounds of Huguenot Street, it’s hoped Tantillo’s paintings will transform the museum’s interpretation of periods for which HHS lacks pictorial representations.
Prints of the painting are available for sale in the museum gift shop, as well as online. Note card sets, featuring preliminary pencil sketches for the first painting by Len Tantillo, are also available for purchase.
The scholarship derived from archaeology on the museum’s campus was conducted primarily by Dr. Joseph Diamond, professor and archaeologist at SUNY New Paltz. Tantillo’s artistic skill is transforming vast amounts of research in HHS’s archive, decades of archaeological digs, and architectural history into reality. The second commissioned painting, the location and subject of which is yet to be revealed, is planned for 2020.
Those interested in learning more about the project and how to support Historic Huguenot Street’s future commissions can visit Historic Huguenot Street’s website.
Painting: The Huguenot Redoubt, c. 1685, with watermark, by Len Tantillo.