National Park Service, Manhattan Sites and the National Parks of New York Harbor Conservancy (Harbor Conservancy) announced that Federal Hall National Memorial is available to rent for special events.
Federal Hall National Monument is one of 413 units of the National Park Service. From 1789 to 1790, the location of Federal Hall National Memorial was the seat of the United States federal government under the new Constitution. Congress passed many of the founding laws of the nation and approved the Bill of Rights for ratification by the states. The 1883 statue of George Washington commemorates where our first president took the oath of office on April 30, 1789.
The original building was demolished in 1812. The current building was constructed in 1842 as the nation’s first Customs House and later as a U.S. Sub Treasury. The structure is one of New York City’s great architectural marvels. Its exterior design, modeled after the Parthenon, celebrates the country’s founding principles rooted in Greek democracy, while the building interior invokes the Pantheon, reflecting the ideals of our republic as embodied by ancient Rome.
Under the agreement with the National Park Service, the National Parks of New York Harbor Conservancy will lease Federal Hall’s rotunda and other spaces after public hours on weekdays and weekends for business dinners, wedding receptions, panel discussions and other special events for a fee. Revenue will be shared with the National Park Service, to support the continued care and preservation of the building.
For more information on rentals, contact Laura Herrera at the Harbor Conservancy at (917) 656-3748 or visit Federal Hall’s website.