The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has nominated 22 properties and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. The nominations include:
Cuba Cemetery, Cuba – The cemetery is the largest, most important burial site in the town and has served the region since it was established in 1841.
The Broadway Historic District, Lancaster – The district reflects nearly the entire history of the village, from its roots as an early residential settlement to its transformation into a 20th century car-centered suburb of Buffalo, retaining much of its original residential qualities intermixed with religious, civic and commercial buildings.
Crown Point Village Green Historic District, Crown Point – This district, which centers on the hamlet’s civic green, includes an important collection of buildings from Crown Point’s history and recalls the individuals who collectively shaped its early development and growth.
The Chester Valentine House, Saranac Lake – Built in 1932 for Valentine, a veteran of the First World War, the house is an example of Sears, Roebuck & Company’s “Strathmore” model, a design which the company offered to customers via its mail-order catalog between 1930 and 1937.
Lehigh Valley Railroad Barge 79, Brooklyn – The vessel, built in 1914, is a rare surviving covered barge with a wood hull; these boats were once important components of the 20th century railroad lighterage system, where cargoes were moved via barge between waterfront railroad terminals and warehouses – until being supplanted by shipping containers.
Union Temple of Brooklyn – The 1926 structure is an excellent example of a Jewish synagogue center, an architectural movement which began in the 1920s and sought to modernize the Jewish faith by providing congregants with a place that merged religious, social and educational practices.
Elmwood, Nunda – A rare and extremely intact example of the work of Andrew Jackson Warner, one of Rochester’s most prominent architects. The 1855 Italianate-style farmhouse also reflects ideas about rural architecture promoted in the writings of A.J. Davis.
Cox-Budlong House, Scottsville – Constructed ca. 1820 by Isaac Cox, one of the original settlers of Wheatland, the home was renovated in 1869 by later owner Isaac Budlong, who retained earlier Federal and Greek Revival elements on the interior while remaking the exterior in the Italianate style.
Cobble Villa, Long Beach — One of the few remaining Mediterranean-style residences from Long Beach’s early history, the 1912 home was the model for early Long Beach developer and political leader William Reynolds’ idea of Long Beach as a wealthy resort colony.
New York County
Congregation Shaare Zedek of Harlem — Built in 1901, the Moorish Revival synagogue was originally built for one of New York City’s oldest Jewish congregations; since the 1930s the building has served Protestant congregations in what has become a center of black culture in the city.
The Pound-Hitchins House, Lockport — The distinctive limestone Greek Revival-style home was built ca. 1833 and is part of a notable local building tradition of stone construction in the Lockport area.
Boxwood Cemetery, Medina – The first burial at this site occurred in 1849 for a local man named David Card, whose dying wish was to be “buried on the hill north of Medina” – prompting the formal establishment of the cemetery that continues to serve the rural community.
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Complex, Springfield Center – The complex includes a church, parish house, rectory and wagon shed built between 1899 and 1902 in an eclectic combination of styles, beginning with the church, built in an unusual combination of the Shingle and Gothic Revival styles.
The House at 352 Piermont Avenue, Piermont – Built ca. 1780, the house was one of 10 buildings developed around a milling operation and landing on Tappan Slote. The use of red sandstone and a side-gabled roof reflects regional Dutch vernacular building traditions.
Central Troy Historic District, Troy (Boundary Expansion) – The district, originally created in 1986, will now encompass nearly the entire area known as Central Troy as it survived after the Urban Renewal era: generally bounded by Fulton Street on the north and Adams Street on the south and by Sixth Avenue on the east and the Hudson River on the west. The enlarged area includes approximately two hundred additional residences and several institutional buildings.
St. Lawrence County
Potsdam State Normal School, Potsdam – Built between 1917 and 1931, the buildings served as the campus of the Potsdam State Normal School, which was the sixth such school to be established by the state of New York to educate teachers.
The Dunning Street Cemetery, Malta – Since it was established in 1775, the cemetery has served as one of the town’s principal burying grounds and includes the gravesites of prominent individuals who shaped the early identity of Malta, including veterans of the American Revolution.
Watkins Glen High School, Watkins Glen – Constructed in 1929, after a fire destroyed the community’s school, and enlarged in 1958, the Neoclassical school building served as a high school and, later, a middle school until 2013; the building is now being redeveloped as senior housing.
James H. Bolton House, Bath – The early 20th century Queen Anne-style residence, completed in 1909, retains many of its original and elegant decorative elements, such as decorative burlap wallpaper, paneled wood staircase, elaborate parlor fireplace and dumbwaiter, features that were clearly intended to impress the visitor.
Mary Louise Booth Girlhood House, Yaphank – Built ca. 1829, the house is nationally significant for its association with esteemed author, translator, abolitionist and suffragist Mary Louise Booth (1831-1889). The founding editor of Harper’s Bazar was born in the house and lived there until 1845; it is the only remaining property associated with her life.
The Queensbury Quaker Burying Ground, Queensbury – The property is the site of a Queensbury Society of Friends burying ground, where it is believed that the first interment occurred ca. 1765 and the last burial occurred in 1837.
The Leffingwell-Batcheller House, Yonkers – The imposing and largely intact example of architect-designed Queen Anne-style residential architecture was built ca. 1887-89 to the designs of notable architect Robert Henderson Robertson, a principal in the firm of Robertson & Manning of New York City.
State and National Register listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits. Spurred by the state and federal commercial historic rehabilitation tax credits administered by the State Historic Preservation Office, developers invested $1 billion statewide in 2013 to revitalize properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places, while homeowners using the state historic homeowner rehabilitation tax credit invested more than $14.3 million statewide on home improvements to help revitalize historic neighborhoods.
More information on the nominations is available on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.
New York’s State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), a division of State Parks, helps communities identify, evaluate, preserve, and revitalize their historic, archeological, and cultural resources. The SHPO works with governments, the public, and educational and not-for-profit organizations to raise historic preservation awareness, to instill in New Yorkers a sense of pride in the state’s unique history and to encourage heritage tourism and community revitalization.